2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp SALT FOR LIFE® 75
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
¼-⅓ cup ice water
3 ½ cups pumpkin pie puree
1 cup half-and-half
⅔ cup lightly packed brown sugar
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg, heaping
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp allspice
Yield: 8 slices
- Mix together flour, sugar and SALT FOR LIFE® 75 lightly in a big bowl. Then, using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Using a fork, stir in ice water to create a soft dough that can easily be formed into a ball. Slowly add more ice water, 1 Tbsp at a time if needed. The dough should not be sticky.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a round disc. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until cold, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Measure out 3 ½ cups pumpkin purée.
- In food processor, whirl pumpkin purée along with eggs, half-and-half, both sugars and spices until evenly mixed, or simply use a hand mixer. Strain through a sieve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out 1 disc of pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 13" circle.
- Loosely roll up around rolling pin. Unroll over a 9" or 10" pie plate.
- Press dough over bottom and sides of pie plate. Then, prick dough all over with a fork. Trim pastry, leaving 1" overhang.
- Tuck pastry under and crimp together using your index finger and thumb, or press around edges using the tines of a fork. Repeat with second disc of pastry and another pie plate.
- Line pastry in each pie plate with parchment paper. Fill each with dried beans or pie weights to hold pastry in place while it bakes. Bake in center over rack for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Remove parchment paper and beans. Bake shells again until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Pour pumpkin filling into hot pie shells. Bake in center of oven until filling is slightly jiggly in the center, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.
* Sodium content is based on usage of the exact ingredients listed. Different brands of the same ingredient may have different sodium content, resulting in higher or lower sodium levels.